Monday 29 October 2012

An Interesting Find on Ebay - Part 2

Is This a Wreck Cover?


I asked this question in my blog of 16 October . The item has arrived and I'm no closer to knowing the answer.

As I suspected, it is only a front, but it has a tantalising partial postmark on the remnant of flap attached. It's a partial "Liverpool" postmark in blue, which I would expect to be a "Liverpool Packet" postmark. However, there doesn't seem to be a matching date for that postmark, according to "Collect British Postmarks" (Stanley Gibbons, 8th Edition), bearing in mind that the Lochmaben sank in 1855.

Unless I can find a passenger manifest for the last voyage of the Lochmaben to see if Mrs. Hazelton was aboard, I will probably never know if this is a wreck cover!




2 comments:

  1. I have seen a genealogy website somewhere that has passenger lists of transatlantic sailings ( possibly only to New York !), but I can't remember which one. Perhaps the Canadian Government archives can help?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip. Something else to go on my to-do list!

    ReplyDelete